Friday, April 27, 2007

Birth Choices

Did you know you had a choice in how and where to birth, even twins?


I didn't know I had any choices in birth when I was first pregnant. I often thought it would have been nice to have been born the century before so I could be attended to by a midwife. Everything I ever heard about midwives made it sound as though they were a by-gone era. I didn't think that there were any being trained anywhere in the United States in the 1990's. Boy, was I mistaken!!!!


It wasn't until after my oldest daughter was born that I learned the truth....
Midwives still existed, they were not extinct -- YET!


I learned of a new movement in giving birth, for those that were all about nature and taking responsibility for their own actions, choices and decisions. "Autonomous" was a word that
I kept coming across. I learned how to read the medical information to learn the truth about the complications of childbirth. I learned that we all have choices and sometimes going to the doctor, and even a midwife, means our chioce is to not take responsibility for our decisions. The group "RUSH" once said, "If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice." Our best defense against this is to research all of the information that is out there and weigh it against our instincts if it will be a safe decision. The best place to find medical studies is PUBMED. They have studies from all over the world about the safety of all aspects of pregnancy, birth, and postpartum.